Pages

Jul 17, 2012

MP3 Experiment

There are so many reasons why I love this city, but Sunday I participated in an amazing event that make me love this place even more.

According to their website, Improv Everywhere is a New York City-based prank collective that causes scenes of chaos and joy in public places. They happen to host an annual event called the MP3 Experiment.

Here is the event description from their website because I couldn't write it better myself:

Here’s how it works: we put an original mp3 file online (usually around 45 minutes long) that people download and transfer to their mobile devices. Participants then synchronize their watches to an atomic clock on our website, head out to the same public location, and blend in with others. At the predetermined time, everyone presses play. Hilarity ensues as participants carry out ridiculous, coordinated instructions delivered to their headphones via narrator “Steve” and everyone else tries to figure out what the hell is going on. 

 My friends and I headed over to Governors Island at 3:00 on Sunday and we had a ton of fun participating in the event. There was a list of props, 46 minutes of crazy instructions, and thousands of people. We may have synchronized danced with strangers, wore sheets over our head and pretended to be ghosts, and then had a massive water gun fight. It was one of the most interesting free things I've done all year.

I am so ready for next year's 10th anniversary of the MP3 Experiment, because I bet it will be awesome!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment