Pages

Jun 28, 2012

366 days later...

Some people thought I was crazy. Some people thought I was overly ambitious. Some people were jealous. and Some people were wondering how I would make it.

I felt all of the above, but 366 days ago, I boarded a plane to New York City with a dream, a one way ticket, and my cat.

It was never easy, it was always fun, and I could not imagine doing anything any different.

I am a completely different person than I was 1 year ago and I am in love with that. I finally feel like I found a city that gets me. I never feel like the crazy single girl who isn't married, because no one here my age is married. I never feel out of place for wanting to stay up late and sleep when I'm eighty, because everyone here wants to do that. I feel like I'm home and as of right now, I don't know that I'll ever leave.

I love the loud sounds that make my mom crazy when she is talking to me on the phone, I love the rush of entering the subway station and running down the stairs to try and catch the train. I hate when I miss the train, but I know the next train will be there soon. I love running into celebrities even if they never know I saw them and got star struck. I love that I can get a hotdog (even though I haven't) 24 hours a day. I love that I haven't paid for car insurance in a year, but have never been without a way to get around. I love that walking up 5 flights to my apartment has become normal and walking ten blocks is faster than the subway. I love that on any given night, during any week of the year, I can find something fun to do and someone to do it with.

I have made some incredible friends in this city. Friends who didn't know me in high school or college, but don't mind that I probably mention the Gators at least once in every conversation. Friends who also pay incredibly high rents for tiny apartments and understand what it's like. Friends who will bake you cookies, take you to a Yankees game, or invite you to a birthday party. Friends with awesome jobs that I will always envy. These people I have met have become my family here. I am so far from my sister and my mom and having a constant group of friends who I can call and bother has become essential to my happiness.

I'm not sure why this city feels so right; I never lived in a big city growing up, I never was the one who opted to walk over riding in a car, and I definitely never had to deal with cold weather, but it feels like me and New York City clicked into place like two perfect puzzle pieces.


























3 comments:

  1. Yep.....made me cry....again! Eat a damn hotdog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness what a GREAT post! This is all so so true. Only the New Yorkers get it! The rush, the thrill, and the pride of being a NY'er. There's nothing better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Yorkiversay! I just celebrated my third... Man, time flies by.

    ReplyDelete