Pages

Apr 7, 2012

G is for grapes.

Day 7 of the A to Z challenge and I am talking about grapes. Since a young age, I hated them. I never liked to eat them fresh, frozen, or put into anything like chicken salad.







You know how peanut butter and jelly is a staple for young kids? My jelly always had to be pink. I hated grape jelly.

You know how kids eat anything candy related? I ate everything except the purple candies because they were grape.

You know how kids get Sparkling grape juice on New Year's Eve? I never drank it, I wanted gingerale.

You know how raisins are made of grapes? I hated anything made with raisins: oatmeal raisin cookies, raisin bran, the small boxes of raisins that parents always thought were perfect classroom snacks.

Sometime this year, I stopped hating actually grapes. I think this may have started with a love of sangria, which turns out is made of wine which means it has grapes. I bought a bunch of grapes at my supermarket and I liked them, so I bought some more.

 I think it is really interesting how your taste buds evolve as you age. Foods that you loved as a child, no longer look as appealing (Cocoa Puffs) and foods I avoided like the plague are coming back to my diet (grapes, grilled cheese, and oranges).

Even though I have found a recent soft spot for grapes, that purple jiggly jelly better not be on my PB &J. It's gross.

1 comment:

  1. Hate grape jelly or any jelly, I like real fruit. Polaner and St. Dalfour make awesome real fruit spreads.

    I always loved grapes and SanGria, too. Freeze the grapes and put them in your red wine to get your daily ration of fruit.

    ReplyDelete