Pages

Nov 29, 2011

Holiday Blog Challenge! Day 2

 

Traditions are some of my favorite things about the holidays.

My family has a few traditions that we have taken part in over the years.

Tradition 1: The Christmas tree is always put up directly after Thanksgiving. Never before and never more than a few days later. My Mom takes great pride in her tree and she refuses to use any colored lights. We use only white lights and my mom turns the tree on every night to watch the lights glow and flicker across the living room. I am sad that I won't be there this year to see the tree until Christmas eve, but I did get the skype tour of her tree last night. It is bright this year!

Tradition 2: My sister and I have always opened one gift on Christmas Eve. I'm not sure when this started, but it is always one of the best pieces of Christmas Eve. That and the mini quiches. I love those things.

Tradition 3: This third tradition is from when I was a kid and it is one that I will recreate when I eventually have kids. Once all of the kids fell asleep on Christmas Eve, my mom would take red lipstick and leave a mark on one of our cheeks to look like Rudolph had left us a kiss when he visited. We used to argue over who would get kissed by Rudolph each year and it was always a surprise when we woke up. I remember always being so excited when it was my turn and I never really thought about how logical it was for a reindeer to come inside the house and up the stairs to kiss my cheek. Kids are so naive :)

It is really fun to have traditions to look forward to when I go home this year. I am sure that the tree will be wonderful and my sister and I will probably open a gift on Christmas Eve. I also hope there will be quiche (that's a hint, Mom) Those things are like crack to me. The cheese and spinach...so tasty.

I hope you and your family enjoy a tradition or two over the holiday season :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment