Pages

Oct 11, 2011

Kids Say the Darndest Things





Oh remember when I said I was going to try this new segment and then I only posted once and you probably forgot about it. Yeah so did I. Sometime last Thursday I had a student make me laugh so hard that I thought, "This should go on your blog" and that's when I remembered that I told you I would post things like that. My bad.

So here are a few things that made me laugh the past few days.

On a student's vocabulary test where they were to define the given word:

peculiar: an old lady who lives alone with cats.

I really wanted to give this kid credit for awesomeness, but it was in fact wrong. 

stout: What a pig smells with.

Close. but not really.

modest: The number with the highest mode.  


Wrong. On so many levels.
_________________________________________________________________________

During a writing lesson last Thursday, I gave the following prompt: Write two paragraphs about a true story. You should focus on a person, place, or event. Remember this has to be a TRUE story. 


After the students were given the prompt, I wandered around and had a few students ask me questions about their topics. Yes you can write about your last birthday party. Yes you can write about your mom. Yes you can write about the time you saw that show filming. Then I had a student raise his hand and I walked over to him. "Ms. Roberts, can I write about ninjas?" I looked at him and said, "Have you ever met a ninja?" I was being completely sarcastic and slightly annoyed because I had stressed how these paragraphs had to be true stories. "Yeah, one time"he said. "Oh, really. Where did you meet these ninjas?" Again, I was totally not believing this kid. "Yes. at my karate class." "Well then, it sounds like you can write about the time you met ninjas." Touche. You my 10 year old friend can indeed write a story about ninjas.

_________________________________________________________________________

During a social studies lesson, my students were working in groups of 4 to create a map. One of my groups had 3 boys and 1 girl, and I had noticed that every time I walked near their table the girl was always drawing and the boys were just goofing off. 

I walked over and ask one of the boys to describe an item on the map. He had no clue what it was. Then I asked one of the other boys what he had contributed and he started to tell me that the group as using his idea so he wasn't drawing.

Then the girl chimed in with a life lesson that all women should learn in fifth grade: My Mom said that boys never actually do the hard work, they let the girls do the work and then take credit for it.

I told her to always remember that and had to walk away before I laughed. I did however let out a giggle or two when I was walking away.
_________________________________________________________________________

Lastly, this is a picture of one of my student's homework from a few weeks ago. I thought it was incredibly adorable and it is things like this that get me through the weeks when the student's say the craziest things. 



1 comment:

  1. "She wears the most incredible clothes ever." How adorable AND observant!

    Thanks for sharing...these were too funny! My mom is a 1st grade teacher, and I LOVE hearing all her stories. :)

    ReplyDelete